Friday, November 8, 2013

Gerushia's New World, My World and A Still Blue Night

This has been a slow week.  
Do you prefer slow or busy busy busy?

I have so much to do, but I decided to give myself a day or two to work on my own book.  My larger than large fairy tale called
"Gerushia's New World."

I've been working on this story for years.  Many years.

There is a cast of characters that, to me, are just like lovable family members.

One of my favorite characters is Jubal.  He has such a tender heart and a kind spirit.

Tiny Excerpt

 "Jubal has been a resident of Gerushia's World for well over 80 years. His land stretches far and wide and his gardens are the envy of all. He is in love! In love with Lucy. He has admired her and loved her since the day he turned 13-1/2. Lucy is kind to Jubal and she always stops to say “hello” and chat when she walks by his place. Jubal grows blue ribbon huckleberries and Lucy just loves them. Of course, Jubal shares them with all the neighbors, but he saves the sweetest berries for Lucy."


Most of the characters are created with my family in mind.  
So many good-hearted folks from the Ozarks of Northwest Arkansas.

Writing can be a lonely thing to do if you're not connected to your characters.

I think artists in general tend to be isolated for the most part.  
I often find myself isolated. 
Thank goodness for my family.

I have been living in the same house for over 16 years and I don't know a single soul in my town or even my neighborhood.

As a very isolated artist, it is a good thing to have a constant flow of work....

writing.
painting.
collaging.
decorating.
even cooking.

Sometimes, I even feel a bit protective of my life, which is probably why I connect so much with the characters: Custodia and Hectorina. They are also very protective of their world and they are somewhat isolated.

Tiny Excerpt

"The entrance into Gerushia's New World is well watched. The most secret secret of all. You see, the entrance is simply....a window. But the window is protected and watched by Custodia and Hectorina (The Window Watchers). No one can get through unless they allow you to do so. Truly, in a certain way, Custodia and Hectorina are two of the most important dwellers in the world. They watch that window day and night. It is their calling, their pride, their heart of hearts. This job is the most important job in Gerushia's World. Custodia and Hectorina aren't merely responsible for protecting the world from intruders, they are responsible for protecting the world from Serafine herself." (Serafine is the dark character in the book).


So, although I am isolated, I am also very protective of my own "window."

Sometimes, I write and paint and collage for hours upon hours.  
And sometimes, I walk away form my studio for several weeks.

refueling.
rejuvenating.
readjusting.

Simply taking a walk out into the still blue night is all I need to 
re-balance ~ 


Breathing in the colors of a Johnny Appleseed sky ~ 



Inspiration can come from admiring someone else's work.
A soft and quiet bedtime book.
"Dream Animals:  A Bedtime Journey."


This gorgeous and dreamy book was written and illustrated by Emily Winfield Martin (otherwise knows as The Black Apple).

I wonder if I'll ever REALLY have a published book.

Never mind that, I'll still continue writing and illustrating this fairy tale.

Though it may never be printed onto pages, tucked between a protective cover, the characters are still alive...in my life and in my imagination.

From time to time, I'll refuel and re-balance my story, my art, my life.

But for tonight, in my isolation, behind my own window, I'll write.


Until Next Time:
Kim
Gerushia's New World

7 comments:

Raige Creations said...

I like busy days, and then I like slow days full of nothing urgent to do.

I loved reading excerpts from your book! Go you!!

Someday, you WILL have a published book. And that you are illustrating to too - awesome.

Thanks for sharing.
~Rebecca

Gerushia's New World said...

Thank YOU for stopping by, Rebecca.

I would love to believe that I'll be published someday. But...I'll still keep working away in the meantime. :-)

xoxo
Kim

charlino said...

Oh, my good friend -- after reading this I've learned we have a lot more in common than just art. In my own way, I am very isolated - and have been for a very long time. Perhaps it's time for a change. A good book with your art is a story worth being told. Hugs --

Gerushia's New World said...

Charlino:

Thank you for stopping by.

I've been a fairly isolated person for most of my life. Sometimes, by choice. Sometimes, by coincidence. I find it to be the most comfortable place for the most part.

Well...it DOES give me a lot of time to work on my book and my art! :-)

xoxo
Kim

vanessa said...

Oh My goooodness, what a gaspingly gorgeous post. The feel, the tale, your art....

And your outlook and mood over it all is beautiful.

I love that. Tales that live in your heart in secret places, and if they ever come to be public wonderful, but if not it doesn't diminsih that they do really really exist.

Ooo, I got a chill ;)

You are such a lovely soul dear Kimcakes.

Loooove ya,

V

I have more to say... but I feel silent too for some reason :)

Laura T. said...

Hey there! I just wanted to pop over from AFT & say congratulations on winning the pin cushion! Yea!!! : )

Gerushia's New World said...

Laura!

Isn't that good news? I am so excited to win such a handmade treasure. It tells so many stories.

xoxo
Kim