Thursday, July 21, 2011

Preparing for 2 Big Art Shows and some Zibbety Goodness Too!

Well....Hello There:

How are you?  I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the pleasures of summer.  I have been ever so busy with art show preparations and online shop work.  Normally, my summer posts are about gardening and all sorts of summery goodness, but this summer has found me so busy with creating  many new pieces for upcoming shows that I've had very little time to "stop and smell the roses".  In fact, I've spent most of the summer locked away in my studio.

I have oodles of news and fun stuff to share and I'll share some today....

First, let me say that I am officially committed to Zibbet as my new online selling venue.  I left Etsy months ago...gave Big Cartel a whirl (my little art simply got lost on Big Cartel), and now I am blissfully happy with Zibbet.  They are very much like Etsy was early on.  Great community feel, fantastic support and a heavy presence on twitter.  This is where I'll stay as I am ordering new business cards for my upcoming shows and I must commit to somewhere.  So....Zibbet it is.  If you are an arty pal and are looking for a new "home", give Zibbet a look, you might like what you see.  I have a feeling that they are going to explode in popularity within the next year!  

I have 2 shops on Zibbet, actually.  Click HERE to have a look at my art shop ~ Gerushia's New World.  Click HERE to have a look at my vintage digital download shop ~ Hands of Time.  I will be adding lots more vintage images over the next week.  

Okay...so one of the shows I've been invited to participate in is The 2011 West Coast Welsh Festival of Arts ~ Mythology and Legend Art Show...wow, that's a mouthful!  It's being held at the Barnsdall Art Park in Hollywood, California September 23 - 25.  Not only will my piece be in the art show, but it will be published in the book "A Welsh Alphabet", printed by A Raven Above Press. Each artist was asked to choose an alphabet from the book.  Each alphabet has a short poem attached to it and our art pieces reflect that poem.  
I chose "P" for Plentyn Newid.  Plentyn Newid translates to New Child in English...so my piece is a changeling story.  

Here is the poem:

P is for Plentyn Newid
who steal children away as they sleep.
Quickly replacing it with an ugly, shriveled beast
That has made many a poor mother weep.

The "Welsh Alphabet Book" was written by Lorin Morgan-Richards.

"Plentyn Newid"


As you can see, I chose not to show an actual ugly, shriveled beast, as I wanted to leave that to your imagination.  I'm happy with the outcome and I think it conveys the overall feeling of a changeling story.

I have another show coming up in early September.  This is the show that has kept me trapped in the studio.  But...I mean that in a good way.  I need to have 30 pieces finished and framed by the end of August.  Needless to say, I am slightly panicked but I'm pacing myself and am hopeful to meet the deadline.  I'll be back in a few weeks to fill you in on all the details of this show.  It's very exciting!!  

I'm also keeping up with new inventory for my shop as well.  Here is my newest piece:

"Lulu's Big Top Playtime"


The original "Lulu's Big Top Playtime" can be found in my shop ~ Gerushia's New World - Original Art as well as a print version.  As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

I should also mention that for all my arty blog friends that aren't on Blogger, I know you're having an impossible time leaving comments...so if you want to leave a comment for me, you may have to do it through email.  I so wish Blogger could get this situation fixed.

So...there you have it.  I really don't have any pretty garden photos to share or photos of delicious baked goods to post.  This summer has been so very busy with my art and planning for the book and the shows...I just haven't had the time to really enjoy the season.  Well...not in the usual way.  I am enjoying my work and the excitement that comes along with being asked to contribute my work to these amazing shows!  I am humbled beyond belief...

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading about my busy summer days (and nights)...

Until Next Time:
Kim
Gerushia's New World


1 comment:

Abracadebra Designs said...

Hey there, Welcome to Zibbet. You are going to love it there. Your artwork is amazing. Good luck on Zibbet and good luck with your shows.
-Debbie