Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Apple Jar

Oh such a lovely Autumn morning. With the majority of Halloween decorations taken down, it's easy to savor the simpleness of November.

A happy pumpkin sign to greet visitors...



Magnificent banana yellow Chrysanthemums are alive on the front porch...



In the quietness of the Halloween aftermath, I finally started a wee project for myself. A project that I've been hoping to start for some time now ~ an Apple Jar...



Some folks may call them "Nonsense Jars" or "Treasure Jars". Mine is an Apple Jar. I fell in love with the idea of an old jar full of treasured goodies when I read about it at A Fanciful Twist.



I decided to call my Treasure Jar an Apple Jar because it's filled with little things that are hugely meaningful to me....they are the apples of my eyes...



Little pigs that found their way to the bottom of my Christmas stocking many years back...



A very old little glass figurine that was given to my mom by my best friend's grandmother ~ they are both gone now...



My own baby shoe, one of my mom's hair curlers and the little old scissors that my mom kept in her sewing machine box. Even an old strand of red glass beads that belonged to my dad when he was a wee little boy...



These sentimental treasures often find their way to the very back of my dresser drawers. Most times, I come across them while looking for something else. There they remain, hidden away, safely but out of sight. So, from now on, when I come across one of these old and dear keepsakes, I will put them in a jar. They truly deserve to be out in the open. They should be looked at and appreciated every day, as they remind us of little pieces of our past...glimpses of our heritage...tiny smile makers viewed through a glass jar. The Apple Jar.

Kim
Gerushia's New World

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

Your Apple jar is the neatest thing!! I'll have to dig out my treasures now that I know what to do with them!
Roxanne

Marie Rayner said...

What a fabulous idea Kim!!! I'll have to create an apple jar for myself now! How wonderful to have a beautiful jar of smile makers sitting out on the counter top, rather than having them tucked away and gathering dust in the bottoms of drawers and cupboards!!! xxoo

PennyBlue said...

Miss you Kim! Am going to add you to my NEW Blog now. The shop looks GREAT! Go to my bluejude blog and get the links to my new digs! Love ya BJ!

Linda O'Neill said...

Love your jar, Kim...and the little piggies in there! What a cool idea.

Amy said...

What a perfect idea. I love anything in a jar!!! I have many treasures in the back corners of drawers and inside boxes. They mean not a whole lot to anyone else but me. It is a museum when you put it all together in a jar like you did. Bravo!!
Amy

jdavissquared said...

What a wonderful idea! I need to start an apple jar...I even have the perfect antique ball jar!